Thursday 26 February 2015

Module 2. Research - "Reflect upon these in your blogs and private diaries"




What were some of the points in the reading that you will use to develop your topic?
 
I found Eraut's theories interesting. Eraut states he uses different types of knowledge in his professional work: Propositional, personal and process. I wanted to explore this in more detail.
 
Eraut states propositional knowledge emerges out of professional action and defines the knowledge base of the profession in terms of discipline based knowledge and concepts.
Personal knowledge is acquired through social interaction and undertaking tasks, - the kind of knowledge that emerges from experience; inchoate in professional context.
Process knowledge is understanding how to undertake the processes and contribute to professional action. (1)
 
With reference to the line of inquiry I am researching, I would certainly refer to Erauts theories as methods I use in my research. I have concrete facts I have to consider with my inquiry. No way can a professional performer, obtain a PGCE with their national diploma. I have to consider this while researching exactly WHY the government won't accept this.
 
With regards to personal knowledge, for my line of inquiry, I want to set up doodlepolls and ask questions and research what people in similar situations to me feel. I already have a handful of friends who would like more clarity on this. I'm sure with their opinions, and the help of some strangers I will have a broad set of opinions to put forward when I approach governing bodies regarding PGCE's.
 
With the propositional knowledge, based on factual research, and personal knowledge based on my own research, I need to look in to whether my inquiry will evenly explore professional, practical and acedmic knowledge, to ensure equal vocational experience.
 
I want to explore what the differences are between a qualified performer, and a qualified dance teacher in an academic setting. Why there are so many differences between the two, and could this ever be improved so professional performers have a easier way of obtaining a teaching qualification?
 
From my original research of Schon in Module 1 with his method of loop learning;  "states of appreciation, action, and re-appreciation", I am now interesting in Eraut (1994) arguing that Schon "does not have a simple coherent view of reflection but set of overlapping attributes. He selects whichever subset of attributes best suits the situation under discussion". (2)
 
Is this something we all do? Do we ever argue every aspect, or just base our research on what we want?
 
"'Creativity is a function of intelligence"' (3)
 
1. British Journal of Educational Psychology  (2000), 70, 113–136 
2. Eraut (1994) p. 145
3. Robinson, Professor Sir Kenneth, All our Futures, 2003


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Live for today, we'll dream tomorrow"