Monday 23 February 2015

Module 2. Task 4 continued.

Do you work within a disciplinary context in the arts? Or is your situation more transdisciplinary?

I found this question interesting to explore. I am a musical theatre performer. I sing, dance and act, with experience in musicals, concerts, radio performances, music videos and uni projects.
I would describe my subject as disciplinary. I most of the time follow a script, or a music score, or a choreographer or directors direction. Since I started Ballet at the age of 3, I have always found dance and the arts a strong discipline and would say that from a performers side of things it is less transdisciplinary.
I do also work as a choreographer though and this is more transdisciplinary. You as a choreographer are the brains behind the logistics in a performance. Obviously the artists have a huge resposbility of how they perform the peice, but it is the choreographer who puts it all together.

What do you know? / How do you know it?
I feel these questions are very similar to the below, so will answer those in detail.
 
Make a brief list of your competences and capabilities.
With more than 18 years of dance training (RAD Ballet and ISTD Tap, Jazz and Modern), GCSE Drama and Dance and a Level 6 National Diploma in Professional Musical Theatre, my knowledge is extensive. I have impeccible timing, accurate timing and emotion in everything I do.
I am passionate about Dance, Singing, Musical Theatre and Music.

I love watching shows, seeing live music and/or dance. This year alone I have seen Once, Made in Dagenham and Jersey Boys on the West End, I have seen a local theatre group performing the play Flamingoland and I have tickets for ameteur productions of Witches of Eastwick and Hairspray, both on in April. I also have music gig tickets already booked for the summer. Last year I saw over 15 gigs of rock/indie music...(and the less rock, more pop Pentatonix!)

I think my level of experience combined with my passion to work hard consistently and widen my knowledge enables me to perform and choreograph well and gives me an edge when looking in to teaching performing arts or musical theatre.

What knowledge and skills do you think you will need for the future?
Leading on from what I previously stated, I am looking in to teaching. Whilst there is ISTD or RAD teaching, there is only one dance school local to me that does this, and they have been fairly useless in contacting me regarding anything. After 2 years of trying to get something sorted with them, I decided to look in to different styles of teaching.
A friend of mine is an RAD Ballet teacher, working in an acredited secondary school. This for me is really impressive. She has the qualifications of a dance teacher but is also being able to teach in an academic situtation. I think there would be a lot of dance teachers out there who would love an opportunity like this.
For me, I need to improve my knowledge in the teaching and education sector. As I am looking int o secondary school teaching, I will have to have to obtain a PGCE. To be accepted on to a PGCE course, I will need experience in schools and have a broader knowledge of education as oppose to performing.
I still find it frustrating that people in my situation, with the level of experience and knowledge in the arts, have to obtain a degree before obtaining a PGCE where as people who may be a PE teacher, can end up teaching GCSE Dance.
Topics like that are what I need to explore in more detail so I have a more refined view of the teaching sector and the differences between secondary teaching of the arts, and performing the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Live for today, we'll dream tomorrow"