Monday 29 September 2014

Task 1b. Professional Communication Technologies

I have always been fascinated in technology. From being a child daily using MSN messenger to communicate with friends after school, to a music enthusiast using myspace to connect with artists and expand my music knowledge, to a Media Studies A-Level student in school.

I have always been technically wise, with a facebook page, twitter, youtube account for many many years. I edited my own showreel, as well as making publicity videos for the District Operatic Society I work with.
Whilst I never knew it was "Web 2.0", I have regularly used this concept fot many years.
What struck my interest, is how much Web 2.0 is used for professionals to engage.
We would simply not be able to do this course without it. Whether it is downlading ebooks, liaising via the blogs, posting videos/pictures with sites such as Flickr or Tumblr, it would be virtually impossible to have this professional practice course the way it is.

The internet is the reason SO many things are the way they are. Reading O'Reillys article on "What is Web 2.0 really is" opened my eyes to several things.
For example, I have only known meme's to be comical (see pic)


 
However actually the term meme is actually "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture" (wikepedia)- like O'Rielly's meme map.
 
I look forward to expanding my knowledge of Web 2.0 over the duration of this course.

3 comments:

  1. This post brought back so many nostalgic memories of MSN and MySpace! It is crazy to think that our generation has grown up using Web 2.0 and myself like you and many others didn't even know that is what it is called!

    Where did you find this article by O'Rielly? It sounds like a really interesting read!!

    Not going to lie though, I also thought memes were only comical, that one in particular is one of my favorites. I think that is another beauty of Web 2.0, you could be in any remote location in the world, but as long as you have an internet connection you can connect to and share things with like minded people, it is a great way to communicate with those who have similar interests as you and you can make a virtual network of friends with the same goal and outcome in life. It can be both beneficial and satisfying and also a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to find the Readers, in the induction email. There is a link to O'Riellys article within the reader for module 1!
    Yeah it fascinates me. I've always used technology but I guess you never understand it's potential until you research it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are also links to reading on the MyLearning set under WBS3730. Readers 2 and 3 are up there as well. I was looking for the campus sessions about Web 2.0 - still a lot begin added to the principles - perhaps to combat marketing - e.g. Tim Berners-Lee...

    ReplyDelete

"Live for today, we'll dream tomorrow"